Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Sometimes, Jesus is Scary

"When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. 'It's a ghost,' they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus said to them: 'Take courage! It is I. Do not be afraid."
Matthew 14:26&27

Sometimes, we find ourselves in circumstances that seem treacherous. In this story, the disciples were in a boat that was being buffeted by the wind. Jesus came out to them, walking on the water. Seeing Jesus coming seemed to be more scary than the situation they found themselves in. But the reality of the situation was, Jesus was coming to save them from the onslaught of the storm.
    I find myself in a quandary. I don't always know if the circumstances I am in, have been orchestrated by God or if I have simply found my way into trouble. I can't honestly say I always know the answer. But, I do know that the Bible tells me that "God works all things together for the good of those who love him." So, I suppose it really doesn't matter how I got here, what counts is that Jesus is coming for me.
    I am in the same place the disciples were. They were in trouble, and they saw Jesus coming. They were fearful when they saw him, thinking he was a ghost. I'm not a ghost fearing kind of guy. However, I am a God fearing kind of guy. So, while I am not afraid of ghosts, I am still apprehensive about what is going to happen when Jesus comes. I think this is a healthy kind of fear. The kind that keeps me on my toes and gives God respect and glory.
    Faith tells us that Jesus is coming. But the future may still look a little scary. When he comes, there is sometimes, uncertainty. We don't know or understand what is about to happen. But, he always is coming to rescue us, not to harm us. We can be certain of that. He got in the boat with the disciples and immediately the wind was stilled. This is exactly what we can expect when he comes for us. It may appear a little scary, but the outcome will be full of peace and safety.
    As Jesus said to the disciples, "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." Let's hear those words today and obey them. Be courageous, do not fear, and wait for him to get in the boat with us. The result will be perfect peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment