Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Building Altars

"Joshua set up twelve stones that had been in the middle of the Jordan at the spot where the priests who carried the ark of the covenant had stood. And they are there to this day."
Joshua 4:9

After a long time in the desert, the Israelites finally crossed the Jordan River. God did a miraculous thing and they walked across on dry land. Joshua set up the twelve stones to be an altar, a memorial before God. He told the people that when their children and children's children asked what the stones were, they would always remember that this was where God performed a miracle, the place where they were delivered and brought into the promised land.
    I have times and places in my life where I have seen the miraculous hand of God. These were times when we needed him to show up and he did, times of breakthrough and deliverance. I have learned to set up altars. These altars need to be strong enough to withstand time and distance. They must be visible to me at all times, so I can say, "This was the time God delivered me." I set up altars by writing the event down on paper. For me, this is how I remember what God has done.
    I know that all of us have memories of when God did something amazing for us. Go back and set up altars to commemorate those times and places. Show the altars to your children, loved ones, and friends. Let them be visible enough that you never forget what God has done. You will be blessed, your children will be blessed and generations to follow will remember the legacy you left...remembering God.

No comments:

Post a Comment