Friday, March 11, 2011

The Shepherd

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."
Psalm 23

I rarely hear this Psalm read or quoted. Although it is one of the most treasured poems ever written, we usually only hear it read at funerals. But the message of the poetry touches all of us today as surely as it touched King David himself.
    These are days of pestilence. Earthquakes are occurring all over the world, floods, and natural disasters of all kinds are manifesting. Yet the Bible assures us that these are "birth pangs." Creation is groaning for the appearing of Christ and the revealing of the Sons of God. I have never been one to spend a lot of time preaching that these are the last days, but I know in my spirit that indeed, we are in the waning moments of the current world.
    This can be difficult. But in his grace, God speaks a word to us with love and care. He shepherds us. He brings us peace. He restores our souls. Even though it seems like we are staring death in the face, he strengthens us. But the best news is this: He is preparing a table before us. We will dwell in his house forever and we will overflow with love, joy, and peace.
    Take comfort in these words, no matter what your circumstances are. No matter how much pain you see around you, God is preparing a table for you. And by the way, comfort others with these same words. Through the struggles of life and the issues of the world, He is always with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment