Thursday, March 24, 2011

Slow to Fast?

"Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: To loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?"
Isaiah 58:6

I have never been one to speak much about fasting. In fact, for most of my life, I have been a miserable failure in my attempts to fast. But I am learning the value of this spiritual exercise. I have discovered that it works. I don't know exactly why God honors fasting the way he does, but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that we give up the loud cries of our bodies in order to cry out to him. I was challenged to participate in fasting when I read what the apostle Paul said, "For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit." (Romans 14:17)
    There is something about the willingness to give up our bodies in order to seek God and his righteousness. Isaiah tells us that many things are accomplished through fasting, justice is done, chains are broken, yokes are loosened, and the oppressed are set free. These may be things that you need to have happen in your own life. If so, fasting will release the needed breakthrough. As we see injustice and tyranny around us, we may fast to see those things broken.
    God goes on to say, through Isaiah, that his kind of fasting is also for us to provide food for the hungry, shelter for the wanderer, and clothing for the naked. When we do these things, our healing will come quickly and God's righteousness will shine. True fasting accomplishes much in the kingdom of God, much more than we may see with our own eyes.
    If you have been slow to fast, like I have, perhaps it is time to give it a try. If you need breakthrough, I can guarantee that progress will be made. There is something powerful about fasting. There is something even more powerful about fasting and praying. When you fast, don't forget to pray. This is the purpose. It is not to lose a few pounds or prove that you have self control. It is much bigger than that. God is watching...and listening, for those who will fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment