Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Person of Few Words

"Do not be quick with your mouth, do not utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few. Much dreaming and many words are meaningless. Therefore stand in awe of God."
Ecclesiastes 5:2,3,7b

I have been thinking about prayer lately. I spend time in prayer each day, yet it seems to me that something is missing. Could it be that I spend too much time talking and not enough time listening? Jesus said, "And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him." (Matthew 6:7&8)  I wonder...Am I a man of too many words?
    So many times, we come to God with all of our needs and requests. This is good, for he tells us to do that. The problem we face is the fact that for many of us, this comprises our entire prayer life. We are always asking, and not often listening.
    I think God loves it when we pray. He wants to spend time in fellowship with us. This is the purpose for prayer. It is much less important to tell God our issues and problems than to just come to spend time with the God of all creation. God loves to speak to us. If we are doing all the talking, how can he get in a word? Besides, he knows what we need before we ask him.
    So I have decided that I will come to God each day. I will ask him for my needs. I will present my problems to him and pray for others. Then, I will shut up! I will allow him the opportunity to comfort me, speak to me and declare his love to me. These are the things that have eternal value. After all, I intend to spend eternity with God. I think I should get to know him well before then.
    We will be the bride in attendance at the great 'wedding supper of the Lamb.' Don't you think we should get to know the Groom first? Today, let us choose to be men and women of few words. Let's get in touch with Jesus and allow him to do most of the talking. Then we can rest, lean back against him, and taste the goodness of the Lord.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment