Friday, March 18, 2011

The Call

"The Spirit of the sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners.
Isaiah 61:1

Jesus was sent to do everything the prophet Isaiah said here. We are now called to do these same things. I'm afraid that many of us do not understand the concept that we are called. We feel like this is reserved for the pastor or other person who is in full-time ministry. Listen, we are the body of Christ and we are called to do the same things he did when he walked the earth.
    We need to have the Spirit of the sovereign Lord in us. The New Testament tells us time and time again that we are to be full of the Holy Spirit. We are to keep in step with him and be immersed in relationship with him. Only then, will we begin to fulfill the call that all of us have.
    We need to be anointed by God to be fully equipped for his service. The word, 'anointed' really means, to be set apart. This is much like David was anointed by Samuel to be the king of Israel. He was young and it took time for the anointing to be fulfilled, but it happened and he became the most beloved king of Israel. To be anointed also means that we must be willing to take up the call. What if Elisha had never picked up the mantle that fell from Elijah's fiery chariot when he was taken to heaven? He never would have accomplished what God had already destined him to do. Like these men, we need to receive an anointing.
    We also need to be sent. God has already prepared the territory that we are to be sent into. His heart is to use us to speak to nations, help struggling people, and minister to captives and prisoners. The only thing left is for us to say, "Lord, send us!" This is what Isaiah said when he had a vision of heaven. He heard the Lord say, "Whom shall I send?" To this call, Isaiah said, "Here am I, send me"
    I hear the call in my own life. It is a call to be full of the Holy Spirit, take up the anointing he has given me, and allow him to send me to do what he has called me to do. I don't know what he has called you to do, but I'm sure you have dreams and plans that God has given you. Follow through with them. Let him use you. He is calling. Answer him with an exuberant, "Send me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment