Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Have Mercy!

"Have mercy on me, O' God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Cleanse me with hyssop and I will be clean, wash me and I will be whiter than snow. Create in me a pure heart, O' God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Psalm 51:1,7,10

I have learned a secret. I don't know how I missed it for so long, but now it has been revealed. It is so easy, yet so life-changing. The secret is no longer a secret. In fact, I now proclaim it to all who will listen. The good news is the fact that we can all repent everyday.
    This may not sound very exciting, but it is. You see, there is only one thing that can separate us from God and that is sin. All other obstacles have been completely removed. Jesus took all of our sins with him to the cross. However, if we continue to live in our sin, we choose not to participate in the cross, and we find ourselves separated from God.
     King David knew this well. He wrote those words after he had sinned with Bathsheba and later had her husband, Uriah, killed. He needed forgiveness. He needed to make things right again with God. So he simply asked God to forgive him, cleanse him, and give him a new heart. The process is still the same today.
    Repentance means; To change one's mind. Pretty simply, isn't it? Once we confess our sin and ask him to cleanse us, we need a new heart. We need a new mindset. We need to stop thinking the old sinful way, and begin thinking the new, righteous way. Imagine the simplicity of only having to recount one day's worth of sin before God instead of many. It is liberating!
    I repent everyday, sometimes many times per day. I simply say the things David did. Then I change my mind about the sin and walk away from it.
    Maybe I am a little like Jesus who said, "Repent for the kingdom of God is at hand!" So I say, "repent, and experience full freedom!" Try it. Make it a habit. Each morning, come before the God of the universe and ask him to forgive the sins you committed over the last 24 hours. Then, change your mind!


No comments:

Post a Comment