Thursday, March 1, 2012

If God is For Us

"Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God." 
Acts 5:38&39

Some of the most wise words written in the Bible came from a man who was not a follower of Jesus. The early apostles had been called before the Jewish religious leaders because there was an uproar in Jerusalem caused by the church. There were so many good things happening, so many miracles and changed lives, that the religious leaders had to do something to stop it. It threatened their livelihood as lords over the people. But when the case was heard in the court of the Jewish elders, one man, Gamaliel, stood up and delivered the advice above. What he said there in that room, 2000 years ago, is still true today.
    Gamaliel reasoned that if the things that were happening were of earthly origin, it would all come to nothing just as had happened before. But if God was behind this new uprising, there would be nothing that men could do to stop it. This is a truth that we must believe. We sometimes struggle to find the will of God for our lives. We do things that we believe are God's will, only to see them fail. The opposite is also true. Sometimes, we will help someone, or get involved in a project simply because we like the idea. Then God gets behind it and it evolves into something spectacular. All of this is a result of the will of God. When he gets behind something, when it is birthed from his heart, no man can stop it.
    I experienced this in my own life recently. When I wrote my book, Sixty Days with God, I had no means or resources to publish. I wasn't even sure if it should be published because I believed it was really a journal documenting what God had done for me. But, on a whim, I sent it to a Christian publisher. A month later, they called me, telling me that their editor had read my submission and liked it. Although I didn't publish with them, this showed me that God was behind the project. All the way through the process, every step of the way, God provided what was necessary. You see, when God's will is in motion, nothing and no one can stop it.
    In your quest to find the will of God for your life, know that he will show you what to do and where to go. Doors will miraculously open and others will shut as you walk the path. Yes, you can certainly choose to live outside the will of God in favor of your own desires. But sooner or later, as Gamaliel prophesied, the endeavor will fail. When we are in the center of his will, doing what he has called us to do, nothing can get in the way. If our God is for us, who can be against us? Rest in his will and watch him do great things.

No comments:

Post a Comment