Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Old Rugged Cross

"So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down,
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it someday for a crown."


The Old Rugged Cross
George Bennard 1912

I have not sung this song for many years, but when I heard it on a television program the other day, it brought an emotional response that shocked me. Of course, the cross in the lyrics is the cross of Christ. The one on which he died for our sins. People across the world know this. Even if they aren't Christians, they understand what is taught about Jesus' sacrifice. But the more I think about it, the more I ponder the great work of the cross, the more I realize that I do not comprehend the incredible things that were accomplished.
    The last words Jesus spoke before he died on the cross were, "It is finished!" There has never been a more powerful phrase uttered. What was finished? What had been accomplished? We know that all sins were forgiven that day. Jesus took the whole of the sins of the world as he hung there. All was forgiven for those who would receive him. There is nothing more precious than this. We have literally passed from death to life if we have confessed our sin and received the forgiveness that has been offered. Jesus literally purchased our sin.
    Yet, so much more was accomplished that day. The devil, the enemy of our souls was defeated. he was cast down from his position and hurled to the earth. His heavenly authority was stripped. there was a great battle and Jesus won. What a glorious victory! Death was defeated. He overcame the grave. All of these are things we know. We have been taught about his victory. But one more great thing took place through the work of the cross. God's kingdom was made available to us again. What had been lost through sin and rebellion was restored. Jesus is the King of the kingdom of God. He took that place. The Jews were always asking him when he was going to restore his kingdom. But they were thinking it was an earthly one. His kingdom is far greater than any earthly one, and the victory of the cross gave us new access..
    The kingdom of heaven is a spiritual place. Jesus restored it, but I must seek it in the Spirit. I will not find it in any earthly location. The great hope that was established that day is the knowledge that God is going to establish his kingdom here on the earth. It will be as in the time before sin entered the world. God is literally going to bring heaven down to earth, and we shall live with him forever. This is why I cry when I am reminded of the cross of Christ. This is why I cherish and cling to the cross. The work accomplished there has given me eternal life. But even the cross itself could not defeat Jesus. He did not stay there, he rose again, and all was made complete. Cherish the cross, cling to it, for it is the symbol of our new life. But never forget that there will come a day when the cherished cross will give way to a crown of glory that you and I will wear as we rule and reign with Christ. Jesus ushered in the kingdom of heaven and the cross played a part in delivering it. Never forget the cross of Christ. His victory over it has brought us victory as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment