Monday, March 12, 2012

Leaving a Legacy

"They sent Barnabas to Antioch. When he arrived and saw the evidence of the grace of God, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts. He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, and a great number of people were brought to the Lord." 
Acts 11:22b-24

 Barnabas was one of the early disciples. He was instructed in the faith by the apostles at Jerusalem. Then when the need for a leader arose in the city of Antioch, they sent him to fill the need. Barnabas later would accompany the apostle Paul on his first missionary journey. Later, Paul and Barnabas had a disagreement regarding their helper, John, also called Mark. At this point, the book of Acts follows the journeys of Paul. Barnabas is no longer mentioned. Some people have presumed that Barnabas was in the wrong, but I believe it was simply a disagreement, a difference of opinion.
    Luke, who wrote the book of Acts, extends one of the greatest compliments to Barnabas that anyone could hope to receive. He said that, "He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith." This is not the kind of thing that would be said of a man who wasn't a team player. The reality is: Barnabas simply went a different direction than Paul did. He had his own mission and vision. He took John Mark along with him on his next journey and Paul took Silas. Both teams were successful and many people came to know Jesus. Barnabas lived his life and performed his ministry well. He left a legacy.
    To me, the greatest thing that you and I can do is leave a legacy that is meaningful. Rarely does a rich man leave a great legacy. He may leave a lot of money, but this has no eternal value. The things that count are the things that were said of Barnabas. It brings tears to my eyes to think that maybe, after I am gone, people would be able to say, "He was a good man." In itself, this is still not an eternal legacy. Along with that, I would like to be known as a man who is "full of the Holy Spirit and faith." For when people can say these things about me, I will have left a legacy that counts for something. I want to instill these things in my children and my grandchildren. I want them to remember me in these ways, but more importantly, I desire for them to live this way as well.
    I am not done on this earth yet. So I can be working on a living legacy now. Now is the time to develop these virtues. Now is the time to listen to the Holy Spirit, do what he says, and walk in the kind of faith that will move mountains. So I am determined to live like Barnabas.His life resulted in many coming to know Christ. I want that to be my victory as well. Would you join me in considering these thoughts? All of us can leave a legacy like Barnabas did. But just as important, we can be living it right now. Many people are well thought of, but relatively few leave an eternal legacy. But this is our goal and our desire. Together, let's be a generation that is remembered not by our wealth or power, but by our hearts for God and those who need to know him. This is the legacy we should leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment