Thursday, March 8, 2012

Don't be in a Hurry

"Woe to those who say, 'Let God hurry,
   let him hasten his work
   so we may see it.
Let it approach,
   let the plan of the Holy One of Israel come,
   so we may know it.'"

Isaiah :5:19

It seems to me that God is never early for anything. He is very patient and always arrives perfectly on time. But from my point of view, this may seem too late. I want the answer to come right now. When I pray, I want the answer to be on the way. But God know exactly the right time. His timing is perfect, mine is imperfect. I don't wish for my comments to come across as an attack on faith, they aren't. But this word from Isaiah is clearly centered on those who want God to show up 'right now.' The context of the above scripture is within a series of 'woes' prophesied by Isaiah. He lists several things that will bring woe into our lives. So it is really about questioning the timing of God.
    The more I get to know God, the more I realize how sovereign he is. I have tried for many years to build a box for God to dwell in. I have found that none can contain him. He is bigger than any box, more unpredictable than my limited ideas, and more powerful than my imagination. So when I try to dictate to God when he should answer my prayer, I am limiting him and vainly attempting to bring him down to my level. If God relented and did things in the timing I desire, I would receive much less in my life than God wants to deliver. If I open the box of my own prayers and give him his rightful authority, I will open myself to untold blessing.
    We have become a people who live in the 'right now.' We have information at our fingertips via the internet. We have instantaneous access to breaking world news via the television. We have 'on-demand' movies and programs, sporting events and more. The phrase 'on demand' illustrates just how selfish we have become. We demand to have it now, anything else is not good enough. The pace of the world environment has quickened so dramatically that the word 'wait' really isn't in our vocabulary. But it is still in God's vocabulary. He calls us to wait for his timing. Because there is an abundant blessing in doing so.
    Let's take courage today. Let's remove the boxes that we have attempted to put God in. Let's move from being woeful people to blessed people. Allow God to answer and bring blessing in the timing he has ordained. It may seem as if it's too late, but in reality it is just perfect. Let us submit to God in his wisdom and sovereignty. I believe that when we do this, kingdom blessings will be released into our lives. Perhaps one of the most difficult things to give up is our own idea of the right timing. God wants us to be patient, wait for him and not be in a hurry. What a relief it will be to relax in the arms of God and wait for his blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment