Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Long Distance Prayer

"So Peter was kept in prison, but the church was earnestly praying to God for him"
Acts 12:5

This scripture is part of a wonderful story. Peter had been thrown in prison after James, the brother of John was executed. He was heavily guarded. In fact, he was sleeping between two Roman guards appointed to watch him...But the church was praying. Miraculously, an angel came, guided Peter out of prison and walked with him the full length of one street before leaving him. Peter believed he was seeing a vision, but when the angel left, he came to himself and realized it had really happened. It was a miraculous event, and the church was praying.
    Everyone knows that prayer is a fundamental part of our lives as Christians. We are usually faithful to pray for our families, our circumstances, our friends. But sometimes we are a little overwhelmed with all the need in the world. Our thoughts are limited to what we know and see. So when we pray, our prayers are usually concentrated on the things around us. But it is important that we, the church, understand that there is great need in the world and we are called to pray. You see, when the church prayed for Peter, something miraculous happened. I believe that the fervent prayers of the Jerusalem church were responsible for Peter's deliverance from prison.
    We need to learn to pray outside of our little world. In other parts of the world, Christians are being persecuted and martyred. Missionaries are often murdered or die of disease. Nations are making decisions right now that affect the future of the world. All of these are things that we should consider when we pray. I have found that the Holy Spirit is always willing to guide me when I am willing to pray long distance prayers. Often, I will be impressed to pray for a group of people, or a particular nation. At times, I will pray for those in a particular part of the world that have yet to receive Jesus. Sometimes I am called to pray for our own nation and the men and women who govern. All of these are things that I pray in faith. I cannot see them and I have no direct knowledge of the circumstances, but I pray with faith, believing God will touch, bless, rescue and heal. There is a whole world in need of our prayers.
    One thing I've learned: When I pray long distance prayers, God blesses me. I find myself praying less for my own circumstances and more for others. God still provides and speaks to me about my own life, family, friends and church. I find that my own needs are covered, even though I didn't bring them before God. Of course, I know I do need to pray regarding my own needs as well, but God knows those needs and he is a loving Father who wants to meet them. Although I don't understand, I know that my prayers accomplish great things in heaven and earth. Would you begin to pray outside your box? Allow God to put the world on your heart and experience the powerful, fervent prayers you will utter. Prayer knows no distance. Though it may seem long distance to us, God responds faster than the blink of an eye. There is a battle raging worldwide. Join the army of prayer warriors God has called.

No comments:

Post a Comment