Thursday, February 10, 2011

Waiting...Waiting...Waiting

"Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart, and wait for the Lord." 
Psalm 27:14

I can't think of anything more difficult than waiting. When I was a kid, it seemed like it took forever for Christmas to come. As I got older, it seemed like I had to wait for everything, the new car, the new house. But there is one great thing about waiting; it is a time full of anticipation. I have never heard anyone say, "I'm waiting for disaster to come" or "I'm waiting to get sick." Those aren't things we wait for. We wait for good things to happen. So, we long for it, we are excited about it, and we anticipate the advent of whatever we wait for.
    Waiting for God should be the same. Often, we are waiting for God to come and deliver us from a situation. We wait for our healing or our escape from circumstances. I have noticed that sometimes, while I am waiting for God, I don't feel the anticipation or the excitement. I get so consumed by the current circumstance that the waiting seems almost impossible. In those times, I think I have forgotten the real reason for waiting. I have to sit back, relax, and realize that what I am waiting for from God is much better than anything that I have now. It is worth waiting for. Otherwise, I would be settling for second best.
    Yes, waiting is difficult. But if we will understand that the answer God has for us is absolutely the perfect solution, we will begin to feel that excitement and anticipation again. When we are waiting with excitement, there is no sitting around, no moping, and no 'woe is me' attitude. No, we are giddy with joy. Every trip to the mail box, every prayer time, every meeting with friends becomes exciting, because we never know exactly how and when God is going to show up. He may come riding on an answered prayer. He may speak through the mouth of a friend or deliver an answer in the mail.
     So, I say to myself,  O' my soul, do not be discouraged! And don't you be discouraged either, because God is on the way. His answer has already been set in motion. Wait in anticipation. CHRISTMAS IS COMING!

No comments:

Post a Comment