Friday, February 4, 2011

So You Had a Bad Day

"Hear, O Lord, and be merciful to me; O Lord, be my help."
Psalm 30:10

Have you ever had a bad day? Have you ever had a day when it seems like everything that can go wrong, does? How about a day when it seems like the entire weight of the world is on your shoulders? Well, I am having one of those kind of days. I suffered a computer meltdown, I'm broke and running on four hours of sleep.
    On a day like today, I have found that the choices I make really dictate how the day will go. If I choose to wallow in the self pity or choose the role of the victim, chances are, I am going to have a really lousy day. So what is the answer? What can I do to overcome the worry, pain and unbelief? I have learned one thing, it is the same thing the psalmist knew when he wrote the verse above: My help comes from the Lord! I could look to people for my help, but I know that doesn't work. I could look to escape by watching movies, or TV. I could try to remove myself completely and just drive away somewhere for the day. But, through experience, I know that none of these things fix the problem.
    The only thing that will help you and me get through these kinds of days, with victory, is to understand that our help comes from the Lord. He is the only source that will show mercy to us. "His mercies are new every morning," the Word says. So what shall we do? Like the psalmist, let's cry out to God and say, "Have mercy on me! Be my help today, O God!"
    Repeat after me: "My help comes from the Lord! My help comes from the Lord! My help comes from the Lord!" There...don't we all feel better?

1 comment: