Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Daily Resolution

"I've resolved to give God everything I've got. Then I'll leave the results up to him."
From the movie Facing the Giants
Sherwood Pictures

This is maybe the most simple, yet profound statement I have ever heard when it comes to managing my own relationship with God. It's not a deep theological treatise. It's not an emotional sermon or song. This is simply a basic direction for how I am to live my Christian life.
    First, I have to resolve to give God everything I have. This is much deeper than I have ever thought before. Yes, I must give him all of my heart. I must also give him my mind, the way I think and the things I think about. I must give him my body, the things I do, the things I eat, the things I allow my eyes to see and my ears to hear. But I must also give him my attitudes, the way I think about people, the way I talk to them, the way I act toward them. And finally, I must give him my stuff. The things I have are not my own, they have been given to me by God. Ultimately, they are still his. I simply use them.
    Then, I must leave the results up to him. This is where grace comes in. I often read postings for potential jobs. Sometimes the requirements for the job say, "Results driven person." This may be fine for the job, but I know that I cannot govern the results of giving all I've got to God. If I try, all I am really doing is attempting to earn my way into heaven. It doesn't work! When I try that, I end up further behind in my spiritual life than I was before. No, I must leave the results up to God and then...trust him.
    Could we make this a conscious daily decision? Let's say to God today, "I'm giving everything I've got to you, and I'm leaving the results up to you." That removes pressure from us because we no longer have to 'perform' for God. We simply do what we can do, and then trust him for the best outcome.
    I've never been excited about New Year's resolutions. But this is a daily one that I can grab ahold of. Let's give it all to him and see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment