Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Time to Seek the Lord

"Sow for yourselves righteousness, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your fallow ground; for it is time to seek the Lord, until he comes and showers righteousness on you."
Hosea 10:12

My uncle passed away several years ago. I attended the funeral which took place at the little church he attended regularly. He lived a hard-working life. His body was tired from work and injury, and finally gave out. A woman was called upon to sing one of my uncle's favorite hymns. Before she sang, she gave a testimony about his life.
    She said that their church had meetings on Sunday evenings that were devoted primarily to prayer. My uncle was faithful to attend, even during his last days. When the time came to go to the altar and pray, he would slowly make his way down the aisle, straining with each step. The woman said that he had every right to ask God to heal him, take away pain, and help him through his physical struggle, but he never prayed about those things. Instead, he would lift his hands to God and cry, "Jesus, I want more of you!"
    I have been in the church for a long time. I grew up in a pentecostal church. They used to call us, 'Holy Rollers.' Looking back, some of my fondest memories are of times when all the people sought God. I have seen people dance with joy, I have seen the altar area strewn with people, standing, lying, or kneeling before God, crying out to him with all their beings. I've seen the Holy Spirit move in strong and powerful ways.
    Although I don't choose to live in the past, one thing I do know: It is just as important for us to seek the Lord today, as it was then. I don't care what the name says on the door of the church, if people are seeking God with all their hearts, his presence will be there. Miraculous things will happen and people will be changed. Maybe we don't live our spiritual lives based on emotions, but every significant, authentic spiritual experience I have ever had, was emotional. I get emotional when I meet God. I get emotional when he confronts me and gives direction for my life. And I get emotional when I see the Holy Spirit move mightily within a group of people who, along with me, are seeking God.
    Whatever church you attend, whatever denomination you embrace, keep this one thing at the forefront of your Christian experience; seek the Lord with all your strength and with all your heart. Do it when you are alone, and do it when you are in the congregation. You may cry, laugh, dance, fall on your face, kneel, raise your hands, shout, or whisper. God is good with any of these. It is not about the method or the manifestation, it is all about seeking God!

No comments:

Post a Comment