Thursday, May 19, 2011

No Looking Back

"But Lot's wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt."
Genesis 19:26

God had just destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. He gave clear instruction to Lot and his family about the event. Because he could not find ten righteous people in those cities, he was set to destroy them. The people were so corrupt, they even tried to attack the angels God had sent to them. But Lot's family was spared. They were instructed to leave and get as far away as possible. God specifically told them to not look back at the cities. Lot's wife disobeyed, looked back, and it cost her life.
    I often think of this because there have been times when I have looked back. Thee was a time in my life when sin ruled. I was not close to God and I lived exactly the way I chose to live, disregarding the will of God. But all of that changed and God forgave me. I have learned to not look back at those days. It isn't that the memories are all bad. I have good memories of my childhood and teenage years. But those were days when I was not a Christian. There have also been times in my life since then, when I did not follow God's will for me. I chose to go down my own path. These are also times that I have chosen to put in the past and leave there.
    My point today is this: Don't look back at the negative times in your life, and don't dwell there. They are gone. God has forgiven you and he literally has no memory of the sin that may have occurred there, if you have laid them at the foot of the cross. If you choose to live in the grace that Jesus provides right now, instead of looking back, you will be free of guilt. Guilt is a tool of the enemy, designed to destroy us. Don't allow it. The sin of the past has been crushed under the feet of Jesus, and so has the enemy.
    Lot's wife looked back and it literally killed her. Don't be like her. Live in the glorious freedom Jesus has provided. There is much to look forward to, why waist it by continually looking at the past?

No comments:

Post a Comment