Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Living in Egypt

"But our fathers refused to obey him. Instead, they rejected him and in their hearts turned back to Egypt."
Acts 7:39

The great man of God, Stephen, spoke these words minutes before he was stoned to death by the religious counsel of his day. He was speaking about the children of Israel who were following Moses through the desert. It is well documented in the Bible, how God's people longed to go back to Egypt.
    I find this difficult to believe, since Egypt was a place of slavery, bondage, and abuse for them. They were mercilessly forced to work, they were beaten, and often went hungry and thirsty. God had delivered them from the tyrant, Pharaoh. But now, rather than believe God and follow him, they chose to return to Egypt...not physically, but rather, in their hearts.
    It makes me wonder, how many of us, after being delivered from bondage, make choices to go back to Egypt in our hearts. For me, fear and worry have been strongholds. I know God has defeated those issues in me, but there are times when I fall headlong into fear and worry again. Living in Egypt is no happy place. When I worry, it consumes me. It takes all I can muster to make it through the day. But I have made a decision to never go back to Egypt again. My heart is set on God and the deliverance he has provided me.
    Do you turn back to Egypt in your heart? Has God delivered you from habits, struggles, sin, and peril? If so, then you have been set free from the bondage that held you captive, possibly for much of your life. Don't go back to Egypt! Don't give up on the freedom you have in Christ. Although habits, addictions, and the old life are always pulling at you, don't go back. God has set you free. The joy of living in Christ is found when you choose to live in that freedom. Set your heart on Christ. Set your mind to live in the glory of his presence. And never, never, return to Egypt!

No comments:

Post a Comment