Friday, May 13, 2011

Looking for Help

"I lift up my eyes to the hills--where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1&2

Everyone needs help from time to time. David knew this well. He cried out for help many times. There was always an enemy nation to battle or an evil man to contend with. David knew something that was key to his success. He understood that his own strength was not adequate. Even though he had been a mighty man; a slayer of giants, a killer of lions and bears, and a victor over tens of thousands, he knew that it was not in his own power that any of it was accomplished. He knew the source of his strength.
    I am learning that there is only one true place to find help. It is found in the Father. I must lift up my eyes and behold him. I must look to him for help in times of trouble and times of intense battle. There is a stark contrast between lifting up my eyes to God and being downcast in my heart.
    There is no help from men. Although God often uses people to help us, it is the result of his help, not the help of men. There is a huge difference between being helped by men whom God has sent, and looking for help from men. David said, "Give us aid against the enemy, for the help of man is worthless." (Psalm 108:12). We must look to God solely for our help. If we seek the aid of men, we are bound to fail. Really, it is a change of attitude. Will we trust God for help, or will we trust in men?
    I choose to trust in God. I choose to seek him for my help. I have a vivid memory of being in a car accident as a child. My mother was driving the car and my Dad was in the front seat with her. As we slid on a patch of ice, my mom lost control of the car and the vehicle rolled violently numerous times. As I was being tossed about the back seat, along with my brothers and sister, I heard my dad cry out, "Help us, Lord!" Not one of us were harmed in the accident. It wasn't an eloquent prayer, it was a cry for help. I need to be praying more of those kinds of prayers, and so do you. God isn't looking for prayers that sound like King James wrote them, he is looking to answer people who are desperate enough to simply cry for help.
    "Help us, Oh Lord. Our lives are truly in your hands. Men can't help and there is no other God beside you." Let this be our prayer. God will hear us and he will be our help!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment