Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I Am

"Moses said to God, 'Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, "The God of your fathers has sent me to you," and they ask me, "What is his name?" Then what shall I tell them?' God said to Moses, 'I Am Who I Am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: I Am has sent me to you.'"
Exodus 3:13&14

The name of God was so revered and honored by the Old Testament Israelites, that they would not even speak it. Before this confrontation between God and Moses, the people knew him only in general terms, such as 'God' or 'Lord.' But Moses wanted to know his name, and God said, "Tell them my name is I Am."
    What a wonderful revelation for us! When we are in trouble, we know that the Great I Am, is with us. We cannot comprehend God. We don't have the mental capacity to understand him, his character, or the decisions he makes. People have tried for generations, to understand him and have failed. People are still attempting to figure him out today. But I know this for certain, no one can put God in a can. He is too big, too awesome, too sovereign, for that. Many have their own interpretations of God. They think that he acts the same way all the time. They find themselves stuck with a predictable, unimpressive, powerless God who says the same things over and over again.
   Our God is much bigger than we could ever imagine. He is so big and powerful, that the only name that really seems to describe him is, "I Am." He is so majestic, that he rules and directs the heavens and the earth, yet he is so personal that he is intimately involved in each of our lives.
   Today, God speaks to us: If you are in trouble...I Am.  If you are in need of help...I Am. If everything around you is falling apart...I Am. If you have no hope...I Am. If you are sick...I Am. If the world is in ruins...I Am. God is supreme and he is able to fill everything that we lack. Go to him today, to the Great I Am, and allow him to be your all in all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment