Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The God of Comfort

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows."
2 Corinthians 1:3-5

Everyone needs to be comforted sometimes. Let's face it, life can be difficult. There are so many struggles associated with the world in which we live that the effects on us can be overwhelming. How do we take comfort? How can we live with a joyful heart in spite of the struggles we may be facing? There is One who can always comfort us. He is the God of all comfort.
    I have found that while I cannot change the difficult circumstances on my own, there is always a place I can go to receive comfort. I receive a comfort that does not come from any worldly source, it is heavenly. This comfort flows from the kingdom of God into my life and gives me a way to overcome the difficulty even if the physical circumstance does not change. I find this comfort by going to my Father and allowing him to hold me in his arms. There is no greater place of safety and security than this. He lifts my spirit when everything else is dragging me down.
    But I know that it does not end there. The comfort that I receive from God is given to me not only for my well-being, but so that I may help others who are struggling. Christ suffered and died for me. He gave everything so that I may be comforted. So when I receive comfort and blessing from God, it is not only for me, but for others. I am to take this comfort and give it to others in tangible ways. It may be through a phone call, or a visit, or a thoughtful gift, or a note of encouragement. Whatever form it takes, is less important than the act of extending God's comfort to others.
    We all should learn to comfort others as we are comforted by God. A hug or a handshake may be just what someone needs to receive their comfort. As we pray for God to comfort ourselves, let's pray that he will comfort others as well. It is easy to get caught up in our own difficulties and spend all our time asking God to help and comfort us. But there are many who are suffering in greater ways than we are. We have the honor of knowing the God of all comfort. It is for his glory that we extend this supernatural comfort to those around us. If we touch some who have yet to come to know him, they will sense the supernatural influence of God. It may be the turning point in their lives. Today, receive the comfort of God and give it to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment