Thursday, January 12, 2012

True Strength

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power."
Ephesians 6:10

This scripture is both a summary and an introduction. All of the book of Ephesians can be summarized by the one phrase, "Be strong in the Lord." The message of this letter emphasizes this one command. But the same exhortation is also an introduction to the instructions for us to put on the full armor of God. The armor consists of the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the shoes of the readiness of the gospel of peace, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. This armor is vitally important to the daily life of the Christian. We must have these things to be effective in defeating the powers of darkness and living victoriously.
    I have had a change of opinion about the armor of God. I realize my need to wear it daily. I pray and put on each piece of the armor every day. But I used to think I was to put on the pieces of the armor to build myself up. If I needed strength, this was the place to get it. In fact, I often feel strength arise in me when I am putting on the armor through prayer. But now I realize that I am not putting on the armor to get power, I am putting on the armor from the place of power that I already have. You see, a soldier is already strong and brave before he gets dressed to go to battle. The armor he wears simply equips him for the best possible outcome in the battle. The armor is not like a gas station that refuels my car when it runs low. The strength of the Lord and his mighty power are already mine. The armor dresses me to go forth in that strength.  This is a new revelation, a new place of strength in God.
    If you do not make a practice of praying daily to put on the armor of God, I encourage you to do so. But when you do it, realize that you already have the strength and power of God within you. It is the foundation for the armor. No soldier who is sick or injured puts on his armor to go to war. He would be ineffective. First, you must have the strength, then you put on the armor, then you go to war. Ruminate on this truth. Gain an understanding of what true strength is. Then take hold of that strength, put on the armor, and go in the strength and power of God...every day.

1 comment: