Thursday, January 26, 2012

Giver of the Kingdom

"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father in heaven has been pleased to give you the kingdom."
Luke 12:32

When I was a young boy, I sometimes found it difficult to ask my father for things. I knew my dad loved me and wanted the best for me. I knew he protected and provided for me. But still, even in all this confidence, I struggled to ask. Now that I look back on it, I see that I was afraid to ask because either the thing I wanted was something I knew was not in my best interest, or because I knew I had not been 'good enough' to deserve it.
    I remember my tenth birthday. In my family, we celebrated birthdays, but not in a big way. I wasn't accustomed to having parties or big celebrations. My mom would usually bake a cake and I would receive a gift, usually clothes or things I needed for school. Although we were not poor, we weren't wealthy either. Money was often tight. So on this particular birthday, I expected the same. But there was an excitement in the air. My older sister could barely contain herself and my brothers were visibly excited. They told me that I would have to go outside and look for my birthday gift. They sent me out the front door to look. I looked in the front yard, I looked in the garage. No gift. So I walked around to the back yard, and there on the back patio, I found the gift. It was a brand new Schwinn Stingray bicycle. I was stunned. Never had I received such a wonderful gift. But it was all mine. I think my family was as excited as I was as I proudly took the bike on its maiden voyage. I remember that day, and the best part was; I hadn't even asked for the bicycle.
    So when Jesus said, "Your Father in heaven has been pleased to give you the kingdom," I understand. It doesn't require me to be 'good.' I don't have to earn the kingdom. I need not try to pry the kingdom out of the hands of a selfish, closed-handed God. No. He is pleased to share the kingdom with me. And not only me, but all who desire him. In Luke 11, Jesus asked the fathers who were there, "If your son asks for a fish, will you give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will you give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" The kingdom is in us because the Holy Spirit is in us. God is pleased to give us the kingdom and he will pour out his Spirit on all who ask.
    There is no reason to be timid in asking God. He wants his will to be accomplished on the earth and if we are asking for things that will accomplish that purpose, he will give it freely. The kingdom of heaven is ours. The Holy Spirit is ours. Let's take these gifts and use them for his purpose. Let's not be afraid to approach the Giver of the Kingdom. The best thing about living in relationship with him is this: He will give us good gifts and sometimes, we don't even have to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment