Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Ready for Battle

"Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle?"
1 Corinthians 14:8

In the context of the above scripture, the apostle Paul is talking about spiritual gifts in the church. This verse appears in the middle of a teaching about the use of the gift of tongues. Paul is making the point that it is much more valuable to speak intelligible words in a group than many words in an unknown language. In this way the hearers are edified. But I would like to use this scripture as a challenge. The truth of this one statement can certainly be applied in other areas of our lives. We should learn to be people who sound clear trumpet calls.
    Three years ago, I lost my job and career. It happened on a Tuesday morning. I went to work, and an hour later left with no job and no idea what I would do next. I happened to be teaching a class at church. It was scheduled for Wednesday evening, just one day after my job loss. I was hurting and in no mood to teach. But I heard the still, small voice of the Holy Spirit challenge me with this same scripture. I knew what he meant. I needed to go to that class, tell the people exactly what had happened, and ask them to pray for me with all the faith they had. That night, some of the sweetest, most comforting words from God were spoken over me. Those words remain ingrained in my memory. They have been a source of strength and guidance through these last few troublesome years. All this happened because I chose to sound a clear call.
    Why, when we are hurting, do we sometimes choose to remain solitary? Why do we keep our pain to ourselves? Do we think this is noble or strong? It is in these times that it is important to gather trusted brothers and sisters around us to help us get through. We are part of a family. It is the family of God. We are part of a great army. It is the army of the Almighty One. When a fellow soldier gets knocked down, another soldier (or soldiers) picks him up. This is the picture we should see as we meditate on this scripture. If a soldier is wounded, he will cry out for help. Those around him are alerted and come to his aid. On the battlefield, wounded soldiers will often cry, "Medic!" Others know that he is hurt and needs assistance. In the same way, we should alert others when we have been wounded. Only then will they know the situation and come to our aid. Sometimes our own prayers are weak. When we are struggling, we may not be able to pray with much faith. But others can. But how will they know if we do not tell them?
    I am thankful that I do not walk the narrow road alone. I have my precious wife, my tremendous family, and many loyal, faithful friends to pick me up when I fall. They do this as I am faithful to be transparent enough to tell them that I'm struggling. When I share with them, they rally to my side. Effective, fervent prayers go up on my behalf, and God hears and answers.
    When you have fallen, sound a clear call. Swallow your pride and ask your fellow soldiers to come to your aid. "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (James 5:16). This is why you sound the call. When you have no strength of your own, others will lend their strength in powerful, effective prayers. Think about it. If you are in trouble, call out to God and sound a clear trumpet call to gather your fellow soldiers. This is the expression of our unity in the faith. Others will ready themselves to take up the battle for you. We wait for you to blow the trumpet. We are eager to help. We have faith when you do not. Call us and we will run to give you aid. .
  

No comments:

Post a Comment