Friday, December 9, 2011

The Alabaster Jar

"A woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table. 'I tell you the truth, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.'"
Matthew 26:6&13


The woman gave Jesus what she had. It happened to be perfume. It is interesting that she didn't just give him the jar of perfume, she poured it on him. This would seem like a waste. In fact, the disciples rebuked the woman, saying that the perfume could have been sold for a great deal of money. Yet Jesus blessed her. He said that the story would be told around the world, not because of the perfume, or the jar, or the pouring out of the contents, but in memory of her.
    Undoubtedly, the perfume and the alabaster jar were important to the woman. It may have been the only thing of value she had to bring to Jesus. Jesus blessed her and made sure that she would always be remembered. When we understand that God looks on the hearts of people, not external appearances of actions, we begin to see why this story is so important. The woman loved Jesus. What she did came from a heart that was set on Jesus her Savior. This is what made her actions so important and memorable.
    It is time for a heart check. I have to ask myself, Do I give my best to God? Am I willing to offer what I consider the most valuable things I have to him? This is something that has been on my mind a lot lately. As I grow in my relationship with him, and advance in years, I realize that this is most important. Everything I am and have came to me through him. None of the things I have, even my life itself, are my own. The woman brought an offering to Jesus. It happened to be a very expensive one. Yet this offering was no greater to him than than the two small coins the widow gave. It is not the size of the offering, it is the size of the heart that gives it. This is not just about money or things. It is about me. I must walk through the house that is my life and find areas that have not been presented to Jesus. Then I must give my offering to him.
    I encourage you to present your offering to God. No matter how small, it is valuable to him. All that he really desires is a relationship with us. This intimacy is much deeper than we have ever experienced. It requires a level of willingness on our parts that we may never have approached. Maybe the offering is money. Maybe it is property or belongings. But my guess is; the offering most of us need to bring has something to do with our lives. We call ourselves disciples of Jesus, yet there are parts of us that we have yet to offer. Now is the time to reflect and take action. What is your alabaster jar?

No comments:

Post a Comment