Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Follow the Leader

"Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ."
1 Corinthians 11:1

Paul was a mentor. There were many New Testament figures who were discipled by him. Timothy, Apollos, Aquila and Priscilla, and others. Many young people were raised up into ministry through the leadership of Paul. He not only taught them, but he helped them through difficult times and counseled them in the ways of God. Paul truly followed the mandate of Christ to go into all the world and make disciples.
    All of us need to be mentored. No matter where we are in our Christian walk, there is always someone who has gone before us and learned the lessons we have yet to learn. There are elders in the faith who can instruct us with wisdom that is only obtained through the seasoning of years. These people may not be elderly, but most certainly are more mature in the faith than we are. It is important that we not only honor them, but that we follow the example they have set for us.
    Mentors are not just pastors. When I was seven years old, I attended vacation Bible school for two weeks after school dismissed. One of my teachers was Mrs. Rice. To me, she seemed like a grandma. But I still remember the lessons she taught. Years later, Mrs. Rice attended the wedding celebration as I was married to my wonderful wife, Cathy. When the reception line was formed, Mrs. Rice was one of the first to greet us. She hugged me and whispered in my ear, "I have been praying for you since you were in my Bible school class." She has since gone to be with the Lord, but I have never forgotten her or the day she hugged me. I still cry when I think of her.Often, mentors are not highly regarded leaders. They are simple, humble, and established followers of Christ, like Mrs. Rice.
   Find someone to follow. Look for those who can demonstrate Christ to you. Seek out those who have traveled the narrow road. Pay attention to those who are your spiritual heroes. If you have influence in another person's life, take it seriously. If you teach young children in a Sunday School class or care for toddlers in the nursery, understand that the kingdom belongs to such as these. You may be the example they will remember, their picture of Jesus in the flesh. There is no greater joy than to be one who exemplifies Christ. There are few greater relationships than the ones formed with precious, mentoring saints. Find them and learn from them as they learn from Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment