Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What Do You See?

"The word of the Lord came to me, saying, 'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart, I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.' The word of the Lord came to me: 'What do you see, Jeremiah?' 'I see the branch of an almond tree,' I replied. The Lord said to me, 'You have seen correctly, for I am watching to see that my word is fulfilled.'"
Jeremiah 1:4,5,11,12

There are so many important reminders in this little portion of scripture, that is difficult to focus on one. So allow me to refresh this truth first: Like Jeremiah, you and I were known by God before we were even knit in our mothers' wombs. I find comfort in this. In fact, he not only knew me, he had already set me apart. I am unique. I have a unique personality, purpose and calling...and so do you. Every person is uniquely created and called. What we choose to do with our lives dictates whether we will fulfill the calling of God or not. We cannot move on, if we don't first believe that God made us perfectly, the way he intended. We must realize the truth and relax within it.
    Notice that God did not stop speaking to Jeremiah after he told him that he had been chosen. He told him that he was to be his prophet to the nations. God went on to touch Jeremiah's mouth and literally put his own words within him. But when that had been done, Jeremiah was given a test. God showed him something, and then asked him to say what he saw. God actually did this twice, although I only referenced one of those occasions here. Each time Jeremiah answered correctly, and each time God told him that he was watching to make sure that his own word was being fulfilled.
    Jeremiah was not the only one who went through this testing time. Anyone whom God has called will go through times of testing. God is watching us to make sure that we representing him adequately within the calling that he has placed on us. Those who are prophets will be challenged to make sure they are carefully speaking God's word. Those who are servers will be tested to make sure they are serving others with the same heart that Jesus served us. No matter what your gifting and call are, God will assure that we are representing him correctly.
    This is not a negative process. In fact, it should offer us great hope. In the times of testing, we know that we are not on our own, God is there leading us through it. Testing times have a purpose that is eternal. So I will ask you two questions: Do you believe that God knew you and set you apart before you were born? Do you believe that God has called you and gifted you to represent him in a specific way? If you answered yes to these, then expect God to test you. It is for our good and for the fulfillment of his word. Don't miss the opportunity to seize the destiny God has prepared for you. The testing is a process. Sometimes it hurts a little, but it is always for God's purpose. If you are being tested, look at it from a new perspective and answer God's questions with the same honesty Jeremiah did. The reward is eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment