Thursday, October 13, 2011

Potter and Clay

"Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; We are all the work of your hand."
Isaiah 64:8

There really is no getting around the truth that is shared in this scripture. I have attempted to be the potter of my own life, and I have failed miserably. This is a familiar verse, but we often think of it in light of creation. Virtually everyone who believes in a god, believes that they were created by that god. But the truth spoken here goes much further than just the knitting together of our bodies, it is a complete life-encompassing statement. The same Potter who created us, is also the potter of our lives.
    If God is the potter or our lives, then we must yield control to him. God has a perfect plan for each one of us. If we submit to his will, that plan will be worked to perfection. But God will not subject us to his will, we must choose to submit. If we choose to author our own lives, he will allow it and we will settle for less than God's best. As I mentioned, I have tried to be the potter of my own life. I have made decisions abut my life and future completely apart from God. Each time I did not submit to God's best, I ended up in trouble. I believe in asking God about everything. When I purchase a car, I ask him to show me the one I should have. Every time I have done it on my own, I ended up in difficulty. When I submit to him, I end up with the best possible conclusion.
    The clay cannot tell the potter how to form it. It is the potter's prerogative to create and form the clay in any way he chooses. Paul the apostle wrote that God, like the potter, makes some vessels for noble purposes, and some for ignoble purposes. But it is his decision, not ours. I believe that if we will submit to God, he will direct our lives in a way that not only furthers his kingdom, but guarantees the best life we can have.
    If you have been in the habit of making all the decisions in your life, I encourage you to take a test of faith. Consult God about every decision. This is exactly why he has sent the Holy Spirit. He is our Counselor. When we don't know what to do, or which path to take, he will guide us in the right direction. The more times you do this, the more you will see the hand of God in your life. Soon, you will ask God about all the decisions to be made. This is truly keeping in step with the Holy Spirit. When we allow God to truly be the potter of our lives, we will live life to the fullest. Try it. After all, you are only clay.

No comments:

Post a Comment