Friday, October 21, 2011

Struggling with Patience

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."
Colossians 3:12

I have to admit that I am speaking to myself today. It seems lately, that I have been struggling with patience. In fact, as I read this scripture, I am convicted about nearly all of the things, because they all are connected with patience. When I am impatient, I lack kindness, compassion, and gentleness. It is difficult to be humble when I am overly concerned with the time schedule. Impatience impacts every area of my life; my relationships with family, loved ones, strangers, and friends. So, what must I do to overcome this issue?
    I am certain that all of us struggle at times with patience. I know that it is an issue that touches many people. As I think about the problem, I realize that the first way to overcome it is to apply the Word. We need to take the impatient thoughts captive and make them obedient to Christ. This means that we must be alert. When the thoughts come, when we find ourselves on edge, we must stop, think about the problem and the thoughts we are having, and give them to Jesus. I know the Holy Spirit will lead us, for the Bible tells us that he helps us in our weakness. Patience can be a point of struggle and he will guide us through.
    We must conquer impatience before we can really enter into true patience. I find it interesting that patience is both short-term and long-term. We may get impatient at the driver who is going too slow, or the check-out line at the store that is too long. These are momentary and can be overcome by applying the Word and taking thoughts captive. But there is a greater value in patience that is life altering. The Bible associates patience with endurance. This means that we face times of struggle that test our spiritual endurance. In order to gain victory through them, we must have patience. This only comes from God. If we attempt to tell ourselves to be patient in these difficult times, we will fail, because our strength is not sufficient. But the strength that God gives is more than sufficient. We will grow spiritually through these times if we have the patience that helps us endure.
    Let's start working on the problem of impatience. Let's apply the Word, pay attention when it hits us, and overcome the problem. Then we can begin to enter into true patience, the kind that is enduring. The next time you are stuck at the traffic signal, or in the long line at the grocery store, declare this: "I am clothing myself with patience!" When we overcome the impatience, we will be kind, compassionate, humble and gentle. This is the way to live. It's fulfilling, it's relaxing, it's rewarding! God, help me to be a patient man!

No comments:

Post a Comment