Thursday, February 23, 2012

Where Are You Going?

"The LORD had said to Abram, 'Leave your country, your people and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you.'" 
Genesis 12:1

We are people who like to control our own destinies. We want to make our own decision about where we go, what we do, where we live, and when to do all of these. One of the most difficult things for Christians to learn is to submit all of these things to God. An important part of every Christian's life is transferring control of our own lives to God. This only comes with the revelation that God knows us better than we know ourselves. It comes with the knowledge that he knows far more than we do and has much greater plans than we do. Abram, who would later be called Abraham, faced this needed change in his own life.
    Just imagine if God were to speak to you and say, "I want you to pack up all your possessions, load the kids in the mini van and leave your home. I will let you know where you're going after you leave." This goes cross grain to everything we have been taught about responsibility, good stewardship, and the American way of life, doesn't it? But these are basically the same words God spoke to Abraham. I suppose it was an adventure of sorts, but still it must have been intimidating. Although many people in that time were nomadic, Abraham had settled in his own country. He lived among his own people and his family lived there as well. But if we were to read on, we would find that Abraham did exactly as God had commanded. This is a picture of a trusting, faith-filled relationship with God.
    I have found over the years, that God does not speak these kinds of things to everyone. There are those who stay in the same house, go to the same job, and follow the same routine for years. Many are wonderful Christian people that God has called to 'bloom where they were planted.' But I have known some, in fact I have been one, whom God has called to different places. I must admit I haven't known anyone who didn't know where they were going. Usually, there is a location to go to, but the plan of what is to happen there, comes later. So the real issue is not whether you are called to move or stay. The issue is obedience. All of us must learn to obey.
    Whether God is calling you to move or stay, be obedient to him. We are incredibly blessed to be able to hear the voice of God. How can we ignore such a wonderful privilege. I want to live my life in obedience to God. I want to be so sensitive to the Holy Spirit that when he speaks, I hear and obey. Sometimes I find myself a little hard of hearing. It may take a few times for my flesh to get out of the way so I can clearly hear his voice. But when I do, I will obey. How about you? Do you have enough confidence in God that you would be like Abraham? Would you answer the call and go to the land he will show you? This is true love for God that we obey his commands. There is nothing greater than to obey God and go where he leads. It's also fun to answer when people ask you, "Where are you going?"

No comments:

Post a Comment