Monday, February 20, 2012

Let Them Talk

"I want God to bless this team so much that people talk about it!"
From Facing the Giants
Sherwood Pictures

I have watched the dvd of this movie several times. The last time as I watched, this line grabbed my attention. The story is about a high school football coach who has had little success in his six years at the helm of his team. Finally, he seeks God and develops a plan for success. As he presents his new philosophy to the team, he passionately speaks out his heart's desire: "I want God to bless this team so much that people talk about it!"
    It was not simply for the success of the team or himself that he spoke, it was so God would be exalted. In the film, God did bless the team and the coach in great and emotional ways. The plan the coach developed was inspired by God himself and he honored what he had told the coach to do. This is a great story of the faithfulness of God.
    In our lives, I think we should be going to God asking the same kinds of questions the coach did. There is no shame in asking God to bless us. God is not a vending machine that will spit out the blessing of our choice, but he is a loving Father who wants to bless us in the same way we want to bless our own children. He is in the business of blessing. It was God who said that curses may last for two or three generations, but his blessings will endure for a thousand generations. Many times, he told people that he intended to bless them beyond measure. Consider Abraham. Though he was old and his wife Sarah, was well beyond child-bearing years, God promised them a son. He told Abraham that he would be the father of many nations. His descendents would number more than the sand on the shore of the sea. God kept his promise and blessed Abraham and Sarah, even though it seemed impossible.
    I want to be blessed so much in my life that others will marvel at what God has done. It is not for the sake of wealth or comfort that I desire this. It is for the glory of God. My desire is to bring glory to him and his name. I want him to be famous. I want him to be praised, exalted, and worshiped by all. Join me. Ask God for blessing. In fact, ask him to bless you so much that others will talk about it. This is the kind of God we love and serve. He is one who blesses beyond measure, loves beyond understanding, and relents from bringing punishment. So let's have him bless us. Then, let the world talk about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment