Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Test of Fire

"And the fire will test the quality of each man's work. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames."
1 Corinthians 3:13b-15

This particular portion of scripture has often weighed heavy on my heart. The vivid picture of "one escaping through the flames" has caused me to cry out to God with a repentant heart, asking him to forgive me for building carnal, temporal things. With all my heart, I want to build eternal things in me, my family, and others. These are the things that will stand the test of fire. Everything I build in this world will not stand the test.
    The fire comes in many forms. It may be the fire of trials and tribulation. If we are building eternal things in our lives, we will stand firm during these times. If we have built our lives on wealth or pleasures, the fire will devour us. It may come in the form of temptation. None of us are exempt from this. The question is not: Will we be tempted? The question is: Will we yield to the temptation? If the eternity that is in our hearts is well fed, we will withstand the tempter, if not, we will fall. There is another fire coming. It is the fire of God. With it, the work of all men will be tested. If our lives are built on faith in Jesus Christ, we will stand the test. If our lives are built on religion, laws, and worldly excellence, we will fail.
    All of us want to be saved in the day of the Lord. None of us desire to be rejected by God and sent to spend eternity in hell, absent from the presence of our Father. And none of us, who have committed our lives to him, will have to face such a fate. But I want to enter the kingdom of heaven gloriously. I want to receive the reward for a life spent building eternity in my own heart and in the hearts of men. I am not looking forward to an escape from the world. I am looking forward to a glorious graduation. I will be magnificently ushered into the presence of God, and he will say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant!" Maranatha, maranatha, come quickly Lord Jesus!
    Examine what you are building. Is it eternal or carnal? Will it stand the test of fire or be burned up in the inferno? It is never too late to start building eternity in your heart. If you know Jesus, repent for the sin of building worldly, worthless things. Get ready to be launched into his kingdom. If you do not yet know Christ, give your life to him today. Simply say, "Jesus, I know you are the Christ and I receive you in my life." Believe it in your heart, and tell others about it. Then all of us will not just escape through flames, we will boldly walk into the presence of God. That which you build, build for eternity!

No comments:

Post a Comment