Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Living to Please God

"For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men."
Romans 14:17&18

I often wonder what really pleases God. I think about the way I live and act, and I realize that often, it does not please him. So I am challenged to really find out what pleases him. I understand that he is pleased with me, because he created me and purchased me through the blood of his own Son. But I want to live to please him. How then, do I do this without getting caught up in more religious activities that I think may please him.
   The answer to my dilemma is found in the simple words referenced above. I am to live my life in righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, not concerned with eating and drinking, or the things of my flesh. When I realize this, I know that it is not a matter of what I do that pleases him, it is a matter of how I live. This gets down to the simple issue of my heart. Do I have a heart that pleases God? If so, my life will manifest righteousness, peace and joy. It is important that I know I am not expected to work up these things on my own. Instead, I am to depend on the Holy Spirit to help me.
    I love the fact that God is not moved by worldly success, wealth, or power. He is not moved by someone with prominent position. He is not impressed with popularity. He does not approve more of people with great ministries and Christian success, any more than he approves of us. He does not prefer one person over another. God is pleased when we exude righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. God enjoys people who live this way. When we are joyful, he must look at us and laugh with us. When we live in peace with others, there is a supernatural intervention that brings a peace that passes all understanding. And he loves righteous people, not because we are religious and obey every law, but because he gave us righteousness through Jesus.
    Please realize today, that these are the things that please God. You do not have to be a great speaker, or evangelist. You may stumble over words or be too shy to speak. None of this matters. If you are living in righteousness, peace and joy, relying on the Holy Spirit to help, you are pleasing God. It's that simple. A person who lives this way will be noticed by people as well. You can't hide these virtues. Your countenance will speak loudly. Let this truth settle into your heart. This is the life that really please God.

No comments:

Post a Comment