Friday, April 8, 2011

Man Covering

"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.
Ephesians 5:25

Since I have finished talking about the necessity of putting on the full armor of God, I feel I must speak to men regarding our relationships with our wives. Ladies, feel free to pass on this information to your husbands.
    I have recently received a revelation that should not have been a surprise at all. I should have been doing this for my entire married life, but did not. It is simple, yet I continued to overlook it. God revealed to me that I need to be praying for my wife. I have always prayed for her, but what I now understand is this: Whenever I am praying about me, I am also praying about her. We are one. What affects me, affects her. What's important to me, is important to her. So I now pray for both of us.
    For several years, I have been putting on the armor listed in Ephesians 6, everyday. I would take each piece, apply them to my life and pray the appropriate prayer surrounding each piece. I still do this each day, only now, I include my wife in every prayer. I am not only wearing the armor for myself, I am applying it to her life as well.
    Men, I think sometimes, our wives may not be in the place to effectively put on the armor themselves. It is both our responsibility and our privilege to to do this for them. We are notoriously self-centered. We must stop making it about us and begin making it about our beautiful partners. We must pray for them, encourage them, lead them, and love them exactly the way Christ has done those things for us. It is something that God has placed deep within us. We are warriors, soldiers. Let's take up that call for our wives as well.
    From now on, put on the armor. Do it everyday. But as you do, dress your wife with that same spiritual armor. Love her, protect her, and lead her into battle alongside you. Then, the strength of the Lord will overcome you both. Jesus has shown us the way, for he has loved us, prayed for us and given up his life for the sake of ours. Let's follow him and do the same for our wives.

No comments:

Post a Comment