Monday, April 25, 2011

Come and See

"'Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?' Nathanael asked. 'Come and see,' said Phillip."
John 1:46

Nathanael had a difficult time believing that anything good could come from a place called Nazareth. Prejudices existed in the days of Jesus as surely as they exist now. Nazareth was a place known as a small town with poor people who would never amount to anything. Yet Phillip knew that he had seen the Messiah. He believed it to the point that he was absolutely convinced. Rather than attempt to explain it to his friend, he gave him the most simple of answers, "Come and see!"
    There comes a time when words are not enough. I have found that many times, I cannot explain what Jesus has done for me. I try, but somehow words are inadequate to show what Jesus has done. The only words that really work are, "Come and see!" By saying these words, I am inviting others to look at what Jesus has done in my life. You see, if it isn't visible, if people can't see what he has done, then nothing has really happened. It may be just another figment of my imagination or a misunderstanding about what God has said.
    I have come to understand that I must display the work of Jesus in my life. I am a man of words. I write, I speak, and I share with many people. But words are not enough. People must see the changes in my life. This is what validates the ministry of Jesus. Phillip didn't try to explain to Nathanael who Jesus was, he invited him to see for himself. So I must be confident enough in the changes that are being made in my life, to invite others to see them for themselves. In this way, they will understand the possibilities for change in their own lives through the powerful ministry of Jesus. I don't just want to talk about it, I want people to see it!
    Consider the truth of this little story of Nathanael and Phillip. If you want people to see Jesus, invite them to see him through you. Saint Francis of Assisi said, "Preach the gospel at all times--If necessary, use words." How true it is. Let's radiate the light of Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment