Friday, April 29, 2011

Amazing Love

"Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons."
Hebrews 12:7&8

Everyone undergoes discipline. This is a painful, yet true fact of life. As I was growing up, I definitely was disciplined by my father. Yet, I somehow always knew he loved me. Every time I was disciplined it was for my good. I knew I had done something wrong or inconsiderate. Therefore, I deserved the discipline I received.
    I remember one incident. When I was four years old, I determined that I was fed up with living at home. I don't know my reasoning, but I packed a few things in a handkerchief, hung it on a pole in the style of the old hobos, and walked out the door. I proceeded to mount my tricycle and ride down the lane toward the busy highway a couple of blocks away. When I arrived there, an elderly lady was waiting for me. She ran out to me, turned my tricycle around and sent me back the direction I had come from. Obviously, she had called my parents, for when I got within sight of our house, I saw my dad in the front yard. He had cut a 'switch' from the tree there and was waiting for me to arrive. When I came to the house, I kept on riding past. My father ran after me, caught me, and brought me home. Then I received the discipline with the 'switch' being applied to my rear end.
    I have never forgotten this story. As I recall it though, I realize that my dad was disciplining me for my own safety. Had I reached the highway, I could have been hurt or killed by the vehicles. God loves all of us enough to discipline us as sons and daughters. I did not understand the need for the discipline at the time, but now I do. The same is true of us. God may discipline us by putting us through difficult circumstances and trials. Generally, we do not understand the reasons why he would do it. But later, we will see the results and all will become clear.
    If you are struggling through a trial right now, know the truth: God is disciplining you as a son or daughter, because he loves you so much. He knows that the trial will result in greater faith, perseverance, and character. He knows that this discipline, if received and completed, will lead to your becoming more like Christ.
    His discipline is based on his unfathomable love for us. Receive discipline as love. After all, he is treating us as sons and daughters. What a privilege to have a father that cares for us so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment