Monday, September 19, 2011

Reward for the Seekers

"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."
Hebrews 11:6

The only way we can please God is through our faith. I believe this should set a lot of us free from the idea that we must do things to please God. This scripture doesn't necessarily speak of doing anything, just having faith. Of course we know that true faith involves not only believing, but also acting on that belief. So in that sense, we must do something to please God. But the issue here is the heart. If we feel that we must perform to earn good things from God, we are mistaken. God loves us for who we are. But he rewards those who act in faith.
    What are the rewards God gives us? I have found that they are not necessarily physical things. It is usually not money or earthly things. He wants to bless us in those ways, but the rewards he gives are more often spiritual ones. I have found a direct correlation between how much I seek God and how much reward there is. When I am spending time with him and listening, I get closer to him. The rewards I receive are the peace and knowledge that I am close to God. Jesus said if we seek him, we will find him. This is the promise of God's Word, and it has proven to be true in my life. I have also found that the more I seek him, the more reward there is. I hear his voice more often and experience more insights into his kingdom.
    I used to think that seeking God meant doing things for him. I felt that if I worked hard enough, prayed enough, read the Bible enough, or shared the gospel enough, I would be rewarded. But now I realize that these things flow out of my life when I am in intimate fellowship with God. That must come first. I have found that I can become so busy that I forget to spend time with him. God takes second place to my efforts. But the rewards that last come from intimate relationship with him, and that relationship is built on faith. We cannot see God with our physical eyes. We rarely hear him with our physical ears, or touch him with our hands. But we experience him through faith. Anything we try, other than faith, will not please him. If it is true that "Without faith it is impossible to please God," then the opposite is also true, with faith, we can please God.
    So I encourage you to seek God. Spend time with him. Take time to listen. Too often, we do all the talking and leave little time for him to speak to us. I know that you will find reward in having a deeper relationship with God. He is our reward. Seek him, and you will find him.

No comments:

Post a Comment