Friday, September 23, 2011

Rest Easy

"In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent."
Psalm 4:4

I am not happy with just giving God my days. I want to be with him when I am awake, but I want to be with when I am sleeping. I don't think the Holy Spirit stops speaking to me when I am asleep. I believe he is always pouring truth into my spirit. He gives me dreams, some of which have been very significant for direction in my life. He is God of my waking hours and God of my sleeping hours.
    I have begun to practice this scripture. When I lay down to sleep, I take a few minutes to reflect on the day. I confess any known sin to God and he forgives me. I want to hear his voice all the time. Although my body is sleeping, my spirit is awake and receiving truth, blessing, hope, joy, peace, and righteousness from the Holy Spirit. I don't want anything to get in the way of that process. If I am angry, I have to get over it. If I have sinned, I don't want to let any more hours go by before I confess it to God.
    This is a time to search my own heart. It is a time to ponder, reflect, meditate, and be quiet before God. Although I know that the Holy Spirit is always searching my heart, it is important that I do it as well. He partners with me to expose anything that does not glorify God. Many times, the Bible tells us that we will find rest in God. I believe this is a practical way to find that place of rest in him.
    So tonight when you lay down to sleep, spend a few minutes with God. Take inventory of your day. What pleased God and what displeased him? Be honest with him and allow him to join you as you search your own heart. Remember, he is the God of your waking hours and your sleeping hours. Take a little time with God tonight and then...rest easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment