Tuesday, September 6, 2011

No Matter What

"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior."
Habakkuk 317&18

It seems that when things go wrong, they go wrong in bunches. I have found that there are times when it seems anything that can break, will. Anything that can cause trouble, will. And anything that can cause inconvenience, will. All these things serve to sidetrack me from the really important things in my life; my relationship with God, my relationships with my wife, children and friends, and the work to which God has called me. The apostle Paul calls these distractions: "Light and momentary troubles." (2 Corinthians 4:17). This is really what they are. They seem big and complicated at the time, but in reality, they are just momentary.
    The problem with these troublesome distractions is the fact that they capture our attention. The prophet Habakkuk enumerated all the things that had gone wrong. To an Old Testament farmer, these were huge things. If the fig tree had no fruit, if the grapes vines were not producing, if the cows and sheep were all dead, this spelled big problems for them. It was their livelihood. Without these foods, they would surely starve. When it seems that everything around you is falling apart, it is difficult to see anything else. I know because I have experienced it.
    But when I realize the hope I have in Christ, it changes everything. I believe that when I pay more attention to the kingdom of heaven and less attention to the troublesome distractions, I will weather the storm and come out unscathed. It is really a matter of perspective. I can choose to look at it from a Godly perspective, or a victim's perspective. Whichever I choose is where I must live. So if I choose to be a victim, I will buckle under the weight of the circumstance. But if I will only remember my position in Christ, the struggle will be much more manageable because I know there is a greater life.
    So I resolve to be joyful in God my Savior. I choose to do this, even through the troubles. The next time the car breaks, I will rejoice in God. The next time the kitchen faucet quits working, I will rejoice in my Savior. The next time things don't go my way, I will be joyful because of my God. After all, there is really only one constant in my life and he is God. Everything else is subject to change at any time. So even though everything around me fails, "Yet I will rejoice in the Lord." And I will do this...No matter what!

No comments:

Post a Comment