Thursday, August 18, 2011

Immeasurable Power

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Ephesians 3:20&21

It seems to me that we limit God. We believe in him and we know that he is all powerful. But when it comes to believing that he is going to do miraculous, spectacular, amazing things in our lives, we settle for ordinary, mediocre, average answers to our prayers. It is not that God is handing out ordinary things, it is that we don't believe him for great things. I am learning that God is absolutely sovereign. He cannot be contained. He cannot be wrapped in a neat little package. He is able to do more than we could ever ask or even imagine.
    This scripture challenges my faith. Do I believe in a God who can do things so far beyond me that I cannot even imagine them, or have I settled for a God who fits nicely into the package I have created? I need to have the kind of faith that allows God the freedom to do whatever he pleases in my life. I cannot limit him. God will never force his will or his gifts on me. I must accept them and even take them. Has anyone of us ever turned down a Christmas gift? When the time came and mom and dad held out a brand new toy wrapped up in the beautiful paper, did we ever say no? Did we ever push it away saying that it was too extravagant for us? Did we ever think our parents spent too much money on us and we couldn't possibly accept the gift? I sincerely doubt it. We took the gifts because we knew that our parents loved us and wanted to give us things that bring joy. God is exactly the same. He wants to give us good things. He wants to give us extravagant gifts. But we must reach out and accept them.
    Now here is where it really gets good: This incredible power that God has, resides in us! It is at work in our lives all the time. This means that the amazing things God is offering, are being offered every moment of every day. Let's receive them. Let's believe him for even greater things. We can never over-imagine God. We don't have the ability to do it. So let our faith rise and give God the freedom to work in our lives to the full extent of his power that is already at work within us. It is immeasurable, it is unimaginable...It is ours!

No comments:

Post a Comment