Friday, August 19, 2011

He Knows You

"'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as prophet to the nations.' 'Ah, Sovereign Lord,' I said, 'I do not know how to speak; I am only a child.' But the Lord said to me, 'Do not say, I am only a child. You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you.'"
Jeremiah 1:5-7

I have often told you that God has known you since before the creation of the world. Here is a case when God himself, tells the prophet Jeremiah exactly that. There are three key things that we need to hear from this exchange between God and his prophet.
    God knew us long before we were even knit together in our mothers' wombs. This is key: God did not create us to necessarily do anything for him. Long before we were given life, God knew us. I think there is an implication of intimacy in those words. It speaks of a love that preexisted. Think of it: Before the world was created, before the stars were set on fire, before the garden of Eden was formed, before Adam and Eve lived, before sin entered the world, God already loved us. This is marvelous. It is a revelation that should fill us with wonder for our God. It is really true...He loved us first.
    Before you and I were born, God had already set us apart. Remember, he already loved us, then he expressed his confidence in us by setting us apart for a purpose that only he knew. Long before we started thinking about what God wanted to do in our lives, he was at work sanctifying us. He loved us and then he gave all of us a destiny that is unique to each one.
    Finally, God appointed us. It is important to understand that we will never fulfill our appointment without first being set apart. God made sure that it happened in order and that our destinies were secure. Then he appointed us to do things for him. It is critical to understand that God's love for us came before we were appointed. His love is not dependent on the appointment or whether we fulfill it. His love is poured over us first. This is true of every person, for He has loved everyone who has ever walked the earth.
    Therefore, we should not question the way God has loved us, created us, or appointed us. It was all done for our good. It was all done that we may reflect his glory. These truths should settle over us like the morning dew. It is peaceful and powerful, humbling and empowering. So don't tell God that you are only a child. He knows better. He has loved, sanctified, and appointed you. Don't settle for less.

No comments:

Post a Comment