Monday, August 1, 2011

Heart of the Magi

"'Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him.'"
Matthew 2:2

I love everything about Christmas. I love the gifts, the lights, the festivities. But what I love the most is the story of the birth of Jesus. Okay, I know it's the middle of summer, but it seems like an appropriate time to talk about it. Magi, or wise men, came from the far east to see the newborn Jesus. We know that it was a long journey and Jesus was about two years old by the time they arrived. The question I'm thinking about today is: what is so special about the heart of the Magi?
    It is obvious that these men were committed to their purpose. They came a long way just to see Jesus. They followed the sign that God had placed in the sky for them. It seems that there was no sidetracking their mission. They left home with a purpose and they continued seeking until they found the Christ child.
    They came to worship Jesus. For me, this is the great thing about the heart of the Magi. You see, Jesus had not done anything special yet. He had not healed anyone, he had not spoken a word, he had not performed miracles or drawn large crowds. He was just a baby, born in humble circumstances in a small town. Yet, the wise men came to worship him.
    So I find myself wanting to have a heart like the Magi. I desire to seek Jesus. I don't want anything to get in my way. I don't want to let time, distance or obstacles interfere with my mission to find the fullness of Christ in my life. The Bible clearly calls us to seek him, and the promise that follows is this: All who seek him will find him. Like the Magi, let us seek Jesus. I also want to worship him like the Magi did. So many times, my worship of God is dependent on what I see him do. The Magi worshiped him for who he was, not what he had done. I want that same kind of heart.
    God is spectacular. When I ponder his character, his personality, and his ways, I am amazed. I want to worship him for who he is, because he is altogether wonderful. Take some time to meditate on who God is. Think about how amazing his character is. For the time being, don't think about what he has done, just concentrate on who he is. When you and I do that, we will see that he is absolutely worthy to be worshiped, and we will be compelled to do so. Over two thousand years later, we are learning what the Magi already knew; Jesus is worthy of our worship! So let us worship him!

No comments:

Post a Comment