Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Under the Shelter of God's Wings

"I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. Selah 
Psalm 61:4

Tonight, I had the opportunity to gather with a group of people to worship and pray. It became obvious to me very quickly that I could not pray. I tried, but it just didn't work. This was a night when God didn't need my prayers or the prayers of anyone who was there. He had a purpose. He wanted to come in a sweet, sweet Spirit and just allow us to relax in his presence.
    I'm not sure I have ever experienced anything like it. It was like God said, "Just be quiet and sit here with me for awhile." We did that...and he met all of our needs, even though we didn't express them. You see, this is just like God. He knows exactly what we need and he is faithful to be there to touch us.
    I wonder if we take enough time just to take refuge under his wings. When we pray, it seems like a one hundred meter dash. We have so much that we need to ask him. We have so little time. We have to get on with our day because it's busy. Doesn't God know that? There is nothing like just 'hanging out' with God. When we get there, it is such a peaceful and wonderful place, why would we ever want to leave it?
    I know we have things to do. I know we have busy lives. But perhaps the most important word in Psalm 61:4, is the last one, Selah. It means, be quiet, be still, pause for a time, think about it. This is exactly what God wants us to do. The next time we have the opportunity, let's take it. Could we just slow down and spend a little time with God? He wants us to snuggle up next to him, be quiet and relax. The desperate prayers will still be there later. There will be plenty of time for crying out to him. But every once in awhile, we just need to let him hold us.
    I am so impressed with God. He loves us so much that he is willing to sit and comfort us when we really need it. He doesn't ask anything of us. There is no perfect prayer formula. Sometimes, it doesn't matter if we say anything. The God who searches our hearts, knows what our issues are. Sometimes, he just hides us under his wings. How great the Father's love for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment