Monday, January 24, 2011

Don't Worry

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life..."
Matthew 6:25

   This is perhaps the most difficult commandment Jesus ever gave. How do you not worry when things around you seem to be falling apart? How can you not worry when people you know are sick? How can you not worry when you have lost your job and have no income? All these things are very real. They are happening every day and many of us are living these realities. But the command Jesus gave us remains as sure today as it was when he said it. Do not worry!
    I'm sure you've heard about the medical studies that have been done. Science has found that worry actually makes you sick and can take years away from your life. As Christians, we have the incredible peace that assures us that God is ever watching us. He loves us. He cares for us. He said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." The Word tells us, "My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." These things are true. The source of worry is worldly things, not heavenly ones. If we choose to live in the blessings of Christ, we will feel little need to worry. Our strength and sustenance is found in him.  Do not worry!
    Now, I know that these words slide off my lips very easily as I write this. I also know that it is difficult to live out this command every day. I have plenty to worry about. There are issues all around me. But, when I slide into that dangerous place of worry, the Holy Spirit is always right there to nudge me and say, "I am always with you." And again I hear the command, do not worry!
    So when you are covered by the blanket of worry, engage your spiritual eyes. Look to your Father who knows what you need before you even ask. When you see heaven, earth is much, much less important. I am confident that God will say to you; "Do not worry!" Did I say it enough times?

No comments:

Post a Comment