Friday, January 21, 2011

Fearless

"For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, 'Abba, Father'."
Romans 8:15

I learned a long time ago that the opposite of faith is not unbelief, it is fear. Unbelief does not oppose faith, it simply points us to our need. I am sure that we all doubt every once in awhile. This happens, but it is easy to overcome. God gives us the grace to break through those doubts and enter into faith.
    The thing that we most struggle with is fear. Do you know that really the only weapon Satan has is fear? He has been completely disarmed by Christ's sacrifice on the cross and subsequent resurrection. So the main thrust of his attacks against Christians is fear. Why do we give in to it? The strange thing about it is; there is usually no reason to fear. Fear is typically an empty threat perpetrated by the enemy to keep us enslaved.
    I have had my share of struggles with fear. But there came a time when I realized that I had absolutely no reason to fear launching out in faith. God has promised that he would care for me. I know that God has never once broken a promise. So why fear? I thought about the word, 'fearless.' I had always thought this word meant to be a daredevil. I assumed that it applied to people who jump off of cliffs with their motorcycles and expect to survive. That is not me. I am not a risk taker. But I learned that to be fearless simply means to fear...less. It's simple really. Just stop living in so much fear. I used to think the answer was to ignore it, but I discovered that true victory over fear required me to confront it head on. I learned to name the fears I had and give them to God. The more I did that, the less fear I dealt with.
    I have heard that the Bible says, "Do not fear," 365 times. By my count, that's one for each day. So today, confront one of your fears, name it, and present it to God. When you do, he is thrilled to take it and crush it under his feet. The result.is less fear in our lives. We're on our way to being fearless!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment