Thursday, January 27, 2011

Angry Sin

"In your anger do not sin."
Ephesians 4:26

Okay, I admit that I have had a bit of an anger problem. It typically involves me adding adjectives to inanimate objects--such as "stupid vacuum cleaner", "dumb tool" or "dang toilet". Sometimes, the anger would spill over in a comment about another driver on the road. This would usually result in a comment like, "Hey buddy" or "Come on, idiot." It's odd, I know. The object isn't doing anything differently. If it is broken, it is certainly not the fault of the object. The other driver probably wasn't doing anything that I haven't done myself. Sometimes, it was actually me that was in the wrong.  The only problem really, is my attitude toward the object or person. What I have always written off as part of my personality, I now see as a sin that God wants me to repent of and not do again.
    This became a little more obvious to me a few years ago when I realized that I had passed some some of these sins on to my kids and even the grandkids. My daughter related a story to me. She was driving in a local department store parking lot. A driver in front of her slowed and was not moving out of the way very quickly. My (then) two year old grandson was in his car seat in the back. With a disgusted tone, he shouted, "Oh my dosh! Geez buddy, move!" Hmmm, I wonder where he got that?
    So, I have decided that this personality fault of mine is really just plain old sin. I need to stop making the comments, deal with the motive behind it, and allow God to clean that part of the old sin nature out of me.
    I don't know if you can relate to any of this, but I have a feeling some of you may have a little anger that results in sin. It comes down to taking action. Apply the scripture found in 2 Corinthians 10:4, "And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." This is how you and I can conquer the problem. When we think the thought, we simply interject Jesus into the middle of it. I have done this in other areas of my life and I guarantee that it works. Let's try it. There is a new attitude waiting for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment