Thursday, July 12, 2012

This is Perfection

"If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."
Matthew 5:46-48

I think that most of us would agree that we love our families and friends. There may be times when they seem a little unlovable, but when it comes down to it, we love them and will walk with them through both times of fire and times of joy. There are many unbelieving people who do this, too. Fathers love their children, mothers love their children, husbands love wives, wives love husbands etc. This kind of love is common among all people. We say that we love the brothers and sisters in the church as well. We greet them with hugs and warm hand shakes. We smile when we see them. But Jesus made it clear that even non-believing people do these things. They love their family and friends. It's our nature. But what must set us apart from the rest of the world is our love for those who don't love us back.
    Jesus spent much time talking to us about loving our neighbors and our enemies. This is where it gets difficult. I have a tree in my back yard that is extremely large. It grows prolifically and sometimes encroaches on my neighbor's side of the fence. Several times, he has made the trip to my door to remind me that the tree is getting out of hand. We are cordial when we talk, but I have found it difficult to love this person. Other neighbors have trees that encroach on my side of the fence, but I don't bother them with it. I simply cut back the branches. So why does this neighbor need to be so difficult? The problem is not him, it's me. I have no reason to expect that he will love me, but I need to love him. This will be the greatest witness of God's love that he may ever see. I have the responsibility to love him. In this is found the perfection that God requires of us.
    I don't have the space to write about all the times I have shouted at the other drivers through closed car windows, or the times I have said dishonoring things about other people. These are shameful and I resist talking about them. I know that I am not the only one who deals with these things. We are all guilty from time to time. But God has been speaking to me relentlessly about my need to change. You see, I have allowed these kinds of behaviors to reign in my life for a very long time. Getting rid of them is difficult. But when I confess and repent, the Holy Spirit is there to remind me of my new resolve to love my enemies. 
    I am confident that many can relate to my story. The way we can find perfection like God, is to love our enemies. Why? Because God does. Let me be clear, we will never be like God. He is absolutely perfect, we are not. But in this area, we have been empowered to love perfectly as God does. But we have to make a choice. Every time the driver cuts us off, every time the neighbor complains, we decide whether to love them or not. It seems like such a simple and small thing, but it is one of the measuring rods God uses to judge. Let's resolve to be people who honor God, follow Christ's example, and live lives of love for others, regardless of whether they are friends or enemies. We can be perfect, but it takes a conscious effort. God will remember, for this is perfection to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment