Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Fear of the Unknown

"During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. 'It is a ghost,' they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: 'Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid.'"
Matthew 14:25-27


As I was reading this morning, I came across the scriptures above. Nearly two years ago, I had written in the margin of my Bible these words: "Sometimes it's scary when Jesus is coming." I don't remember what was happening in my life at this particular time, but the truth of what I had written caught my attention again today. There is an element of being a follower of Christ that is, in a sense, scary. When I trust my life, my future, my hopes, and my dreams to someone else (God), it becomes an out of my control situation. In that, there is certainly an element of apprehension and fear. 
    The truth is we don't really know what the future holds for us. Our eternal future is set, we know that. But what happens in this life is unknown. Some people ride through life seemingly without any issues or difficulties. But most people go through seasons of struggle or change. So the issue becomes: Do we really trust God?" The things he does, the things he has prepared for us, the destiny that is already set for us is murky and unknown. So when he comes, we, like the disciples struggle with fear. Is this God's will or something else?, We ask ourselves this question because we don't always understand. 
    It seems that we must get past the element of fear that keeps us from receiving what God has for us when change comes. There is one thing that we can be sure of. God will let us know when he comes. Notice that Jesus announced himself as he approached the boat. He knew that they were fearful and he wanted to relieve their fears and give them full assurance that he had come to calm the storm. 
    So when life seems uncertain. When circumstances seem out of your control, understand that you have given the control of your future to God. He is bringing his will for your life down to earth. If you find yourself full of fear or if you are apprehensive about your future, rest in the words of Jesus as he says to you, "It is I." You may not know exactly what the future holds, but as the saying goes, 'you know who holds the future.' Be secure in the loving promise of God that he has your future in his hands and has planned the best for your life. Then put to rest your fear of the unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment