Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Key of David

"These are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open. I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.
Revelation 3:7&8 


In the second and third chapters of the book of Revelation, there are letters written to seven churches. The apostle John recorded the letters as he heard them uttered by Jesus himself. John was on the island of Patmos when he received the Revelation. he saw Jesus who told him what to write to each of the churches. The scripture above is from the letter written to the church at Philadelphia. I believe these words apply to us as we walk on the Christian journey of life. 
    No one really knows what the "Key of David" is. This phrase only appears this one time in the Bible. Although we don't know exactly what is meant by the phrase, we can deduce that it refers to the fact that Jesus holds the keys to doors that only he can open and shut. These things concern our future, our destinies. Only God knows the future and only he has written our destinies. Although we may try to kick open doors in our own way, it never really quite works. God's will for us is unstoppable. He always brings us to a place where he has an open door for us to go through and he keeps us from kicking open doors that he has closed. 
    Although we may be as one who has little strength, we are still able to walk through the doors that God opens for us. In fact, I receive this scripture as a direct word to me from God himself. By faith I know that there is a door standing wide open that God has placed in front of me. I have tried many of the closed doors and they will not open, because I do not hold the key, Jesus does. I may not see the open door because I am looking for something else. I may not see the door because I don't want to go where it may lead me. But the reality remains that God has opened a door for me and in order to walk in his will, I must go through the door. 
    If you have little strength, if you are wondering where the open door is, if you have tried every door and all seem closed, then this scripture is for you. This word from God is pointed toward you. Don't worry about your future, for God has it in his hands. Don't be concerned when every door seems closed, for God has an open one waiting for you. The only key that you have is the key of faithfulness. If you remain faithful to God, he will direct you to the door. Please don't waste your life pounding on doors that will never open. Go where God leads and walk through, into the place he has prepared. Remember, he holds the Key of David. He opens and closes doors. There is no person, including you, who can open what he has shut, or can shut what he has opened. Trust him, ask him where the door is, and walk through it. He is faithful to you, be faithful in your pursuit of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment