Monday, July 23, 2012

Save Me, O God

"Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck.  I sink in the miry depths, where there is no foothold. I have come into the deep waters; the floods engulf me. I am worn out calling for help; my throat is parched. My  eyes fail,  looking for my God."
Psalm 68:1-3 


Have you ever felt like David did when he wrote these words? Sometimes it seems as if we are literally up to our necks in the mire of life. It seems that we are so low that we have to look up to see anything. We feel lonely, abandoned and desperate. Is there an answer for such a predicament? Is there a way out that we just can't see? Is God willing to help us? Such questions cross everyone's minds. We have all faced times like this.
    The miry pit can be a lonely place. It is a predicament that causes us to do whatever we can to get out of it. When it seems that there is no one to help, we depend on our strength, but in the end it fails. We simply are not strong enough to get out on our own. David knew this and so he cried out to God. But even in that, he found little comfort. Sometimes we don't find it either. When we are in the pit, our prayers seem like loud cries for help that echo off the barren hills. No one is there to answer. And so we come to a place where there is no more strength, no more voice, no more crying, no more hope for rescue. 
    There are some who, when in such a place, simply ignore God. It is tempting to say, "God isn't helping me, so I might as well look somewhere else." This is exactly what the enemy would like us to do. But we must never lose the hope that God will rescue us. I think that sometimes, God wants us to come to a place where there is absolutely nothing we can do to fix the situation. We don't have the strength or the resources. We pray prayers that bounce back at us. We search for God, but cannot find him in the situation. It is truly a desperate place, clouded by the mire around us. 
    There remains only one thing to do. With our last bit of strength, with a voice barely strong enough to whisper, we cry out: "Save me, O God!" It may not be an eloquent prayer. It may not express all the things we want to say to God. But it is effective. It moves God. Most of all, it removes all our own ideas about how he should help us. We have prayed all those prayers already and nothing happened. So with desperation, we simply give up, releasing God to save us in whatever way he desires. Again it makes me think of God's kingdom. We think we must be strong, but the greatest blessings of God come when we are exceedingly weak. Weakness in our flesh is great strength in the kingdom. So I release all my ideas and desires to God. Today I am content to say just one thing to God: "Save me!" If you find yourself in the mire, join me in this heartfelt petition: "Save me, O God!"
   

No comments:

Post a Comment